Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Märta Måås-Fjetterström

This is the kind of name people associate with Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings but no, it was the real name of a real textile artist in Sweden (1917 - 1941).  Her rug studio is still in Båstad and I had the pleasure of visiting it a couple of years ago.  Märta produced rugs in over 700 styles in flatweave, floss and "rya" (hooked rugs).  The techniques are stunning and make for a Scandinavian statement.  The closest I ever got to buying Swedish rugs is at a flea market (loppmarknad) with my family where I snagged a couple of rag rugs that we still use and enjoy.  Here's my dad showing off the rugs!

There are a few of Märta Måås-Fjetterström rugs are shown on this link (textile and terrain) and you'll see that there's a breadth of design that makes them interesting and lovely. Cost is prohibitive for me personally but well worth it if you want a beautiful rug that will last. Used rugs can be found online at auctions but even so a rug like this one can go for quite a lot.  It sold for $23,000 at Bukowski's.
Her name as artisan, leader and textile artist lives on in Scandinavia but not so much in the States. Maybe "The Apartement", the chic Copenhagen design store can change that? Check out this latest piece on their website: "Tulpanen" or tulips by MMF.  Pretty isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inn Along the Way

It went well! My first artist residency in Maine from August 21 - 26 is in the books, literally, look at my scrap book below. :) I was pleas...