Thursday, August 6, 2015

Salad days of summer

If you're like me you like a nice salad for the dog days of summer.  This recipe I found in a Swedish tabloid a while back and I make it often.  You'll have to eyeball some of the measurements because they were in metric.  I usually wing the dressing and it comes out tasting delicious but for those of you who need a better gauge, I've added a dressing that will taste just as good and uses cups. Too bad I didn't take a picture of it last night.  It is as pretty as it is tasty, and it's paleo.  Enjoy!
From Iowagirleats.com (not my salad but looks similar) :-)
Mango chicken Salad for 6
Ingredients 
chicken (I used the grilled chicken from local grocery store)
cayenne pepper or chili pepper (you can skip it)
2 - 3 mangos
3 avocados
salad - preferably different sorts of lettuce but I used bib

Sugared nuts for topping
cashews
butter
sugar
cayenne pepper or chili pepper (you can skip it)

Dressing
1 dl olive oil*    * 1 dl = 0.4 cups so about a half a cup
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 dl apple cider vinegar (0.14 cup)
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt

Melt butter and saute nuts for a couple of minutes, add sugar and cayenne.  
Either cook chicken fillets or cut pieces off pre-made grilled chicken.  Add spices (salt, pepper, chili) to chicken fillets as you wish.  Chop the mangoes, avocados and put on a bed of lettuce.  Add chicken and then nuts. Drizzle dressing over, eat! 

 Dressing using cup measurements below - you can substitute sugar for honey

CLINTON KELLY'S DIJON VINAIGRETTE

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard (leftover in jar)
  • 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Shallots (finely chopped)
  • 1 tablespoon Honey
  • 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inn Along the Way

It went well! My first artist residency in Maine from August 21 - 26 is in the books, literally, look at my scrap book below. :) I was pleas...