Monday, June 13, 2016

The "goodest" country

Sweden has been ranked the "goodest country" by Good Country Index creator Simon Aholt.  
As he told The Local:
“Sweden must be bored of coming top in every bloody country index but that’s the fact of the matter.” 
So what does that mean?  Well it has been deemed to make the greatest contribution to humanity as a whole. I am proud to be Swedish, I know that there are things that are wrong there, and that America is wonderful in many ways too, but given this election season it sure is nice to remember that I have a Swedish passport! 
Evidence of goodness exists in the Swedes who came upon the Stanford rapist and stopped him, holding him until the police came. Carl-Fredrik Arndt and Peter Jonsson were biking home when they came across Brock Turner in an alley on top of the passed out girl.  He was moving a lot, they said, and she not at all, which they found very strange.  Realizing once they stopped what was going on one of the young men helped the girl and the other ran after and detained the rapist.  This is what the woman wrote to the Swedes.  Good exists in the world!  Read more from the article here.
"Thank you to the two men who saved me, who I have yet to meet," she wrote. "I sleep with two bicycles that I drew taped above my bed to remind myself there are heroes in this story. That we are looking out for one another. To have known all of these people, to have felt their protection and love, is something I will never forget."
The letter in full is linked here, please note it is very graphic, read it and remember that this could have been your wife, daughter, friend, girlfriend or even a male that you love. Please try to always, always be supportive and loving of others and be the "goodest" that you can be. 
Hate mongers need not apply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inn Along the Way

It went well! My first artist residency in Maine from August 21 - 26 is in the books, literally, look at my scrap book below. :) I was pleas...