Thursday, May 4, 2017

Eurovision 2017! Update #2

Closing results:  Salvador Sobral from Portugal won with "Amar pelos dois", Bulgaria came in second and Moldovia came in third.  Sweden was 5th place.  I think personally that there was a voters back-lash against the heavily produced dance songs.  Portugal's song was a very laid-back, Bossa-Nova inspired and emotional piece.  In his acceptance speech Sobral said: “We live in a world of disposable music; fast food music without any content. I think this could be a victory for music with people who make music that actually means something,” he announced. 
Hmm, sore loser?  
Robin Bengtsson thought so saying “Congrats on your victory, I really like your song and the way you sing it, but I think your speech after winning the ESC was below the level of a true winner. ‘Fast food’ pop music can be the best thing in the world at the right place and time, so can a song beautiful as yours. There is room for everyone.“ Oh, strong words from a Swede! ;)
More information on all the results here.
Amar pelos dois - Salvador Sobral.jpg


Hej!  Eurovision is on today and starts at 3PM Eastern Standard Time in the USA.  I'm rooting for Sweden of course, and the bookies are giving Portugal 2/1 odds.  Russia pulled out after Yulia S. was barred from entering the host country of Ukraine after having toured Crimea in 2015 when it was annexed by Russia.  Scandalous! Here's more on the stats, line-up and performers:Who Will Win?

Hello all, if you've been following my site you know that I'm a sucker for Eurovision, or Musikfestivalen as they call it in Sweden.  The final will be on May 13th, and I for one plan to get some family and friends to watch and vote.  I find that it's kind of like the Kentucky Derby in that it's a good excuse for nice drinks and munchies, although it's much longer and a constant source of ridicule (which let's be honest is a big part of the fun.)  I do miss the days when it wasn't quite so hightech and overproduced, but it is still a fun night of pop music and silly back stories.  Here's the entry from Sweden with Robin Bengtsson.  Do you think it has a chance?

Robin Bengtsson will open the show with I Can't Go On, co-written by another Robin — Stjernberg — who represented Sweden in 2013: "He told me that he was so nervous when he did Eurovision, but I'm enjoying this so much, I'm not nervous".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inn Along the Way

It went well! My first artist residency in Maine from August 21 - 26 is in the books, literally, look at my scrap book below. :) I was pleas...