Thursday, October 13, 2016

Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize!

Hej, the Nobel Prizes were announced and for the first time a musician was given the Nobel Prize for literature.  He was lauded for his use of verse and the depth of his poetry which brought to mind Homer and Sappho (?) according to the Swedish press.  Well, I guess that could be true, but I can't understand his diction well enough to know what he is actually singing!  I am a philistine perhaps, but I don't get it when there are soooo many amazing authors.  Here's some more information to read:  http://www.thestar.com.my/news/world/2016/10/13/bob-dylan-wins-nobel-prize-for-literature/

Personally I really enjoyed the book The Sellout by Paul Beatty.  Talk about synchronicity with the current election!  Race issues are brought to the fore in a way that is very uncomfortable but extremely interesting for the reader.  My bookclub had an insightful discussion about this book so I feel confident in saying that if you don't mind a lot of swearing, some weird sexual stuff and lots of strange, racist stuff that makes you laugh then you will like this book a lot. Here's a brief snip of what Amazon had to say about this groundbreaking novel --
A biting satire about a young man's isolated upbringing and the race trial that sends him to the Supreme Court, Paul Beatty's The Sellout showcases a comic genius at the top of his game. It challenges the sacred tenets of the United States Constitution, urban life, the civil rights movement, the father-son relationship, and the holy grail of racial equality―the black Chinese restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inn Along the Way

It went well! My first artist residency in Maine from August 21 - 26 is in the books, literally, look at my scrap book below. :) I was pleas...