Friday, August 14, 2026

Sweden ahoy! I'm leaving on a jet plane to Höllviken!

 

The weather is fine. My bag is packed. I have a big week planned. I will be visiting my mamma in Höllviken, Sweden. I hope that we will get some beach time in, and that I'll see my extended family. It will be nice to just laze around for a bit, eat good food and hopefully see some old friends.

I'm staying at Höllvikens Mat and Logi which comes with a full "frukost" (breakfast) and comfy little cottages. My mother lives right down the street from it, which makes life handy. For those of you who might be interested in ever visiting beautiful little Höllviken, here's a link to the Hollviksnas hotel .

Did you know that Swedes get five weeks of paid vacation a year? I think that's just about right. ;) I wish that we Americans did too, but I'll only get to stay for a week. This is the brygga (dock) that I hope to head down to with my coffee and mackor (sandwiches) for a day in the sun. 


Höllviken is South of Malmö on the penisula called "Näset" easily accessbile by bus. There are beaches on all sides, and further down on the spit you will find Falsterbo, a gorgeous community from the middle ages that reached its zenith as a bathing destination for the rich in famous in the 1930's. 

Here's some history from Wikipedia:

"Falsterbo historically enjoyed trading privileges with the Hanseatic League. During the Middle Ages, it was a rich and prestigious town owing to its location in a center of trade and herring fishery. On the beach between Falsterbo and neighboring town Skanör was the Scania Market where merchants from various parts of Europe had fixed market places."

I've been in Falsterbo many times, and I can't wait to go back. We lived not too far away in 2012 - 2013 in Ljunghusen. More on that adventure to follow...

I hope that you have a great end of August and wishing you all some downtime too! Living la vida lagom is harder from the US but we put in good effort to find balance, and carve out some time for what's most important - family. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweden ahoy! I'm leaving on a jet plane to Höllviken!

  The weather is fine. My bag is packed. I have a big week planned. I will be visiting my mamma in Höllviken, Sweden. I hope that we will ge...