Hej! Had a very Swedishy day yesterday sewing together my granny square pillow, and getting ready for Swedish School. Every Tuesday I lug the kids down there to meet other Swedish children, and learn the basics. It's a big commitment because we drive during rush hour traffic making a one-way 45 minute drive take 90 minutes or so. There's a long list of things I need to bring: portable DVD player, DVDs (one for special K, one for Master Luke), their books and pencils, my stuff to do, my aspirin, snacks galore, cash and whatever outdoor clothes they may need for break. The class is only 2 hours long, but you would think that we were going to be gone for a week! Last night we needed extra stuff because I volunteered to be substitute teacher for Master Luke's class: the squirmiest, noisiest, liviest bunch of 10 year olds I know. (I deserve a medal, ha ha.) :-) Of course rushing to get there in time, with all my things and the kids, I forgot the most vital bag -- the one continuing the work books. Oh well, improvise. We did well enough. I brought apples for the hungry multitudes, cajoled the kids into singing Swedish St. Lucia songs with their energetic music teacher, and made time for paper airplane contest - in Swedish. Phew! Then the long ride home and säng (bed). Makes me realize why so many Swedish Americans skipped teaching their own children the language, it's work, but I think well worth it in the end.
(Picture from last year on 11/12, kids sharing cocoa at Svaneholm slott. The XMAS season had begun in Sweden.)
Swedish American blogs about design, decor, life and family with a slant towards Nordic Style and customs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Swedish Folk Art at GNACE
Get a load of these lovely artists! All of them finished and embellished their beautiful kurbits paintings at Greater Newburyport Adult Educ...
-
Happy Midsummer from the beautiful mountains around Alton Bay, NH. We enjoyed a wonderful hike and meal with friends in the fresh air, and ...
-
To be honest I don't know much about horses so don't keep reading if you expect stats and expert analysis of jumping or dressage. (...
-
Good morning everyone. Feeling nostalgic today for all the wonderful Christmas markets in Sweden that start to take place this time of year...
No comments:
Post a Comment